How To Avoid Paying Court Fees During California Divorce

If you are about to get divorced in California you have probably figured out or soon will learn that it costs $435 to file for divorce in most of the Counties in California.  Some are a bit higher and it seems every year the costs go up.

If you are like most folks you are trying to find a way to save money on your divorce.  So i wanted to explain a little trick we use to help you avoid paying court fees during California divorce.

I just got off the phone with someone calling regarding our services and explained this very thing. They were going to attempt to complete their own divorce and were saying that they were going to file the case and then have the husband respond.  The problem with this is that they are going to have to pay the $435 twice.  Once to file and again to file the response.

Now they have paid $870 in court fees and have to complete their divorce case on their own. Many people are not aware that there are 2 fees in a divorce.

But here is how you avoid paying the court fees and how we process our cases.

First, we file the divorce case in the name of the person not working and who does not have an income.  In this case it was the wife.  We would complete a fee waiver to have the court fees waived.

Next, we don’t have the respondent file a response.  Filing a response is not necessary when the parties agree.  Now there are no court fees.

We do this to help offset the costs of our service.  Because we save you money on the court fees, it almost makes the cost of our service free.  Now we can’t do this on all cases if both parties are working, but at the very least we will save you $435 by not having the respondent file the response.

Divorce in California is tricky and you need to know how to navigate the court system.  Don’t try to do this on your own.  You should hire us to complete your divorce case.  In most cases it will cost you very little to have your divorce case professionally prepared and you won’t have to worry about doing it yourself or going to court.