Moving & Getting Divorced In California? What Address Should You Use?

Hi, Tim Blankenship here with In this video, we’re talking about when you’re getting ready to move and you’re getting ready to file for divorce at the same time.

So, when you go to file for divorce, let’s say you live in Valencia, California and you’re going to be moving to say, Van Nays and you’re going to be filing for divorce pretty soon. What I recommend is you should use your new address that you’re going to for your filing of your divorce paperwork if you know you’re going to be going somewhere say, in the next 30 days.

The court’s not going to mail anything to you right away. The 1st time you might get anything in the mail from the court would be probably 60 to 90 days. So, if you’re 30 days out from moving and you have an address, go ahead and use that new address for purposes of your filing of divorce so that way you make sure you get your filing of divorce paperwork in the mail.

Worst case scenario, if you don’t do that, you’ll have to do a change of address with the court and serve the other party, but if you know you’re going to move, like I just had a client call. They were moving from Palmdale to Valencia in the next couple weeks.

I said, let’s just use your Valencia address. It’d be no sense in filing the case with a Palmdale address and then 2 weeks later changing the address with the court. It’s just unnecessary paperwork. Use the address you’re moving to if within the next 30 days.

It’ll spare you from having to change your address with the court in the future. Tim Blankenship, Give us a call if you have any questions. We handle divorce cases throughout California. Talk to you soon.