Chatsworth Divorce | What Forms Do You Need To File

Chatsworth Divorce | What Forms Do You Need To File

Today, we’re talking to the folks who are filing their Divorce in the Chatsworth Courthouse.

And I wanted to just let you know the first steps to they need to do to get your Divorce case filed to get started.

So the very first thing you’re going to need to do is there is simply three forms and sometimes four forms you need to fill out and prepare to take to the court to get those file.

That’s all the court needs.

So number one, the petition. Number two the summons.

Number three is the jurisdictional form that’ll let the courts know where you live and make sure you’re filing in the right court.

And that’s it. If you have children there’s one more form called the UCCJEA.

Now the reason I bring this up is a lot of folks when they’re calling to utilize our service.

They thought they have all their agreements in place and all the property and everything figured out.

That’s not the case. To file your divorce case you need four forms.

It’s mostly broiler plate information. Meaning it’s nothing about any decisions you need to make.

You don’t need to have any idea of your property or what you want to do with your kids or child support or spousal support or any of that figured out.

It’s just broiler plate where you live, how many children you have and a basic idea as far as custody if you want to have legal, joint legal or joint physical or whatever but there’s no specific order at this time.

The benefit to filing only these initial form three or four documents is that you can get it filed, get the case number issued and then you can serve your spouse and as you know that’s going to start the clock on the sixth month cooling off period the California has before your Divorce can be finalized.

In an alternative if you wait to get all your agreements in place, just note, your Divorce case hasn’t started and you’re ultimately delaying how long it’ll take before your Divorce can be finished.

Tim Blankenship with, we specialize in Affordable Paralegal Divorce Services.

Please give us a call at 661-281-0266 or go over to our website at