We want to shift gears a bit and talk about the fact that not every divorce has to be lightning fast. We often highlight how quickly we can wrap up divorce cases when there’s already an agreement in place, but there’s another side to the story.
- Divorce Can Be a Gradual Process: Not all divorces have to be lightning-fast; some couples choose to initiate the process and work through issues at their own pace.
- Initiating the Six-Month Waiting Period: Starting the divorce clock is essential for those who want to begin the six-month waiting period, even if they haven’t reached a complete agreement.
- Patience Pays Off: Some cases take time, and it’s perfectly normal. Clients may come and go as they navigate their divorce journey.
- E-Filing Streamlines the Process: Electronic filing (e-filing) can significantly expedite divorce proceedings, particularly in LA County, where it offers fast approvals.
- Options to Suit Your Needs: Whether you prefer an instant resolution or a more gradual approach, finding a process that aligns with your needs is crucial in divorce proceedings.
Starting the Divorce Clock
Sometimes, people simply want to initiate the divorce process and get the clock ticking on the required six-month waiting period. They may not have all the details worked out, and that’s perfectly okay. What’s important to them is that they don’t want to involve attorneys or head to court. They prefer to work through the issues themselves, whether it’s over the kitchen table or with the help of a mediator.
A Year in the Making
Let’s talk about a recent case where we worked with clients for about a year. It was an on-and-off journey as they navigated through the divorce process. They’d come and go, seeking a little guidance and then working independently for a while. After about a year, they finally reached an agreement.
The E-Filing Advantage
What’s great is that once they had those terms in place, we were able to draft their settlement agreement. Since it was an LA County case, we could use electronic signatures and notarizations, making the paperwork process a breeze. We e-filed with the court, and chances are, it’ll be approved by tomorrow.
Instant Gratification vs. Patience
Now, here’s the interesting part. Even though it took them a year to get to this point, they seemed surprised at how quick the process was once we submitted everything. It’s a sign of the times, especially in LA County, where e-filing has sped things up considerably. In many other courts, it still takes three or four months, but the speed of LA County can be a game-changer.
So, whether you’re looking for instant gratification or willing to take your time, the key is finding a process that suits your needs. Divorce doesn’t have to be a rushed journey, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
If you have questions or need guidance on your divorce journey, feel free to reach out. Thanks for tuning in, and remember, your peace of mind is what matters most.