How To Change Your Address During Divorce | Santa Clarita Divorce

How To Change Your Address During Divorce | Santa Clarita Divorce

Did you know that when you move while going through the divorce process you need to file a change of address?  Yep, there is a special form just for that.

I find that many of my clients are not aware of this.  In fact, when I learn that they have started their divorce on their own several years ago or they filed in a court that no longer appears to be the correct court, I make sure to ask if they have moved since they filed the initial divorce paperwork.

It is not likely that the court is going to mail you anything.  It is more about providing this information to the other party.  If you move and don’t tell your spouse you moved and they need to serve something on you, then they are going to have a difficult time.

One time the court will mail something to you is when you submit the final divorce judgment.  They will need to mail you a conformed copy that the judge signed.  So if you want to make sure you get a copy of your divorce, you will want to make sure the court has your current address.

The form you use to change your address when going through a divorce is form MC-040 called, Notice of Change Of Address or Other Contact Information.  As you can see by the description you can use this form not only to change your address, but to update phone numbers or any other type of information that has changed.

Make sure when you fill out this form that you also file it and serve the change of address.  If you fail to complete the 2nd page which is the proof of service, the court will reject your change of address.  The best way to do this is to complete the entire form, including the proof of service.  Then make a copy and file the original with the court.

We are licensed and bonded legal document preparation firm who specialize in the divorce process in California.